My Photo
Name:
Location: CA, United States

Hello, my name is Alissa. I have had the dream to be a successful actor from the age of five. I started acting when I was seven. I was born and raised in SLC, UT. I am the youngest of six and the first to graduate from college and move away from home. I got my degree from Westminster college in Arts Administration with a theatre minor and focus at the age of twenty. Now living in LA pursuing my life long aspiration, acting.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Becoming comfortable in my own skin

I think it is time. Time for me to be me in my own skin, and to love that me. As I posted last week I have struggled to voice my opinion and share my true thoughts with most people for most of my life. I have been going through a transitional phase in my life this last year and I really want to let the real me out.

One of the things I have been working on in regards to finding happiness in my own skin is being comfortable and happy with my body. I have always struggled with body image, to the point that I have had friends tell me that I have body dysmorphic disorder. I can't say that they are entirely wrong either. I want to change this. I want to love my body.

Our bodies are such wonderful instruments. They are our vehicle of expression and experience. My body allows me to smell, taste, touch, see, and hear. It allows me to dance, love, run, smile, and so much more. These are just a few of the many reasons we should, myself included, worship our bodies and treat them with love and respect.

Being in an industry that is so focused on appearance has been extremely hard on my self image. I am always comparing myself to everyone else on screen or at the auditions. The image that is most desired is one that is not very realistic, and in most cases photoshopped. There are some that naturally have the "perfect" body out here, but I am not one of them.

This is exactly the mindset I am trying to change in myself. Why can't my body be "perfect" just the way it is? I am strong, healthy, and lean. Isn't that what a perfect body should be. It shouldn't matter that I am less than well endowed up top or that I have thicker hips and thighs, they are thicker because of all my years of dancing and running... it is mostly muscle, why can't I see that as beautiful.

I am on a journey to love myself, my body included.  Gratitude is so important if I want to live a life of happiness. My body does so much for me, and for that I am extremely grateful. Now I just need to find the ways to see myself as the beautiful person I am and love my body, just the way it is.

What are some ways that you work on loving yourself for who you are? What do you do when you start to freak out over what you see in the mirror?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home